Welcome to the Modesto Peace/Life CenterThe Modesto Peace/Life Center was founded in 1970 initially as a draft counseling organization growing out of the Vietnam War. After the war, the Center's activities moved into educational areas such as sustainable environmental and energy issues, peace and justice activities, the opposition to war and nuclear weapons proliferation, as well as promoting peace and justice education through its various activities.
Mission and Goals: The Modesto Peace/Life Center is a 501(c)(3) non-sectarian organization dedicated to education regarding issues of peace, justice, nonviolence, and the environment. Most of its projects are organized by in-house subcommittees except for the Martin Luther King Jr. commemoration committee which is composed of interested individuals, representatives of the city of Modesto and other community institutions which functions under its own budget.
The Modesto Peace/Life Center's projects include:
• A family Peace Camp held every year in the Sierras;
• The Annual Peace Essay Contest for which essays are written and submitted by Stanislaus County school children;
• The Homeless ID Project;
• A Media which produces videos on important local issues. See http://peacelifecenter.org/latestVideos.html
• A monthly Peace & Justice Vigil on the first Wednesday of the month from 4:30 to 5:30 PM at McHenry & J Sts., Modesto;
• The yearly Harvest Gathering to benefit the Peace Essay Contest;
• The peace and justice newspaper, Stanislaus Connections
• The Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemoration co-sponsored by the City of Modesto Neighborhoods and Recreation Department, Modesto Junior College, Associated Students of Modesto Junior College, CSU Stanislaus, others;
• An Annual Pancake Breakfast held in June;
• The Annual John McCutcheon Concert;
• A monthly movie night;
• Various lectures, marches, vigils;
• The new and exciting development of a new, full-power FM radio station.
The Center is located at 720 13th St., P. O. Box 134, Modesto, CA 95353-0134
Phone: 209-529-5750. EIN # 94-2800825.
For further information about our projects and activities, call the Center, or email James Costello at email@example.com